The year 2018 witnessed major breakthroughs in technology, policy, and science relevant to the energy and climate change space, quantum computing, California rooftop solar policy, and explainable ways of linking human activity to global warming. We at ClimateAi compiled a list of the top 5 reads (articles and blogs) on Energy & Climate this year that shattered some existing rhetoric and makes me feel optimistic about the future.
1. Opinion | How Scientists Cracked the Climate Change Case
The biggest crime scene on the planet is the planet. We know the earth is warming, but who or what is causing it?
2. Liebreich: Two Business Cycles to Prepare for A Low-Carbon World
This week, as delegates from nearly 200 nations congregate in Katowice for COP24, the 24th annual UNFCCC conference on climate change, ‘tis the season to take stock of the state of climate politics around the world.
3. Does Rooftop Solar Help the Distribution System?
California’s rooftop solar mandate is an opportune moment to revisit a pair of prescient studies by Michael Cohen and coauthors.
4. Harvard Quietly Amasses California Vineyards — and the Water Underneath
Making a bet on climate change, the university’s $39 billion endowment has been snapping up farmland and the related…
5. Inside the world of AI that forges beautiful art and terrifying deepfakes
Generative adversarial networks, or GANs, are fueling creativity—and controversy. Here’s how they work.
From Technology Review.